The annual Physicians’ Alabama Opportunity Fair, normally scheduled in February/March, will take a hiatus from its normal format in 2014 as the committee looks at a possible retooling of this recruitment effort for engaging primary care physicians to consider rural Alabama. Stay tuned for more details soon!
WHAT IS PAOF?
The annual Physicians' Alabama Opportunity Fair is sponsored by 13 health care organizations interested in helping rural Alabama communities facilitate the excellent health care they deserve. Each year, more than 30 rural Alabama communities exhibit highlight the resources of their areas and offer the opportunity to come and practice medicine in a small-town environment. Created in 1990 as a vehicle to match small Alabama communities with primary care physicians, PAOF is a partnership of:
· Alabama Academy of Family Physicians
· Alabama Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
· Alabama Department of Public Health
· Alabama Family Practice Rural Health Board
· Alabama Hospital Association
· Alabama Medical Education Consortium
· Alabama Primary Health Care Association
· Alabama Public Health Association
· TAHEC, Inc.
· Medical Association of the State of Alabama
· University of Alabama School of Medicine
· University of South Alabama College of Medicine
COMMUNITIES THAT HAVE HIRED PHYSICIANS AS A RESULT OF PAOF
· Sardis City
WHAT FORMER RESIDENTS HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT PAOF
"Absolutely wonderful weekend. I met many great potential employers and learned more about areas of Alabama I would like to practice in. Can't imagine a better use of my weekend."
- Past resident/student participant
"This is a wonderful way to see all the different opportunities that are out there for primary care residents. It is a must-see! The location is wonderful and the participants are informative and friendly."
- Charlene Grigsby, former Chief Resident, Family Medicine, University of South Alabama
"I made so many contacts so easily..."
- UAB family practice resident
WHAT FORMER COMMUNITIES HAVE HAD TO SAY ABOUT PAOF
“PAOF is a unique opportunity to showcase the many positive attributes of practicing medicine in a smaller community. The event provides an economical format to gain one-on-one time with future practitioners and their families in a relaxed atmosphere.” Jennie Rhinehart , CEO Community Hospital, Tallassee, AL
“We have attended since its inception and over the years have benefited--onboarding approximately 13 physicians to our medical staff--a composite of family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics and radiology--who were presented to us through PAOF.”--Sue Robertson, Marshall Health System
“Dr. Agustin Flores filled a very important position as staff physician at Sardis City Medical Center. We would never have know about him had it not been for PAOF. This carefully organized event is critical to keep our medical school graduates and Alabama-residency graduates in this state.”--Amelia Wofford, Quality of Life Health Services, Inc.